5 Arguments For Wearing All Black

Red Hair Convertible Bangs & FedoraFedora,  Catarzi.  (Now almost 60% off!)   Blouse,  Asos.   Denim,  Joe’s Jeans.   Necklace,  Anthropologie.  (Similar option here.)   Flats, Chanel.  (Similar option here.)

It’s no secret I’m a sucker for a head to toe black ensemble.  It’s easy, foolproof, and always looks chic.

However, I remember a time (until around the age of 20, basically) that I was actually uncomfortable with the idea of wearing all black!  I felt like it would come across “too edgy”–even though that was exactly how I wanted to look.

When I moved to New York, and started working in the closet at Marie Claire, things quickly changed.  I suddenly became surrounded by so many successful, beautiful, and interesting women who wore head to toe black.  Seeing them gave me the courage to be myself and actually start dressing the way I wanted to.

If you’re still on the fence about whether YOU can rock the shade, keep reading!  I’ve made a little list of the 5 best cases for wearing an all black look.

Curled Red Hair Convertible Bangs

Black Doesn’t Show Stains: If you’re a perpetual spiller like I am, the color is great for hiding little mishaps. I know lots of people are hesitant about washing their blacks because they don’t want them to fade. I always use an ultra-dark detergent like this one since it’s effective at getting out any stains while still making sure that you’re blacks stay as dark as possible!

Black Makes Cheap Fabrics Look More Expensive: I’m not sure of the exact science behind it, but have you ever seen a dress in two different colors and the black one looks more expensive? Black tends to tone down the sheen and any other tell-tale signs of cheap fabric.

Black Is Slimming: Black reflects less light than other colors, and doesn’t cast unflattering shadows under wrinkles or fabric bends. Thus, it’s more forgiving of “problem areas” and gives the illusion of a more sleek fit.

Black Matches Everything: Since there’s only one shade, it’s easier to match a black sweater with black pants than it is to make a pink sweater with pink pants. It’s fool-proof to throw on when you’re in a hurry in the morning since you’ll look put together no matter what.

Black Makes People Think More Highly Of You:  Still not convinced?  According to this study, wearing black makes you appear more attractive, intelligent and confident.

Anyone else a fan of the color?  Did I leave anything out?  Let me know in the comments below!

signature

16 Comments

1. Elle
    February 1, 2016 / 7:59 pm

You will get no argument from me! All black is always chic and quintessentially NY! You look gorgeous!
    xx, Elle

2. hannahelizabethrees
    January 31, 2016 / 9:32 am

Great post !! I’m obsessed with black so this article was very useful !! :) Xx

3. January 28, 2016 / 8:39 pm

Ah so true, I did a post on this too. And this look is spot on, it is gorgeous, just gorgeous! Going to any events or shows during NYFW?

Allie of ALLIENYC

4. January 21, 2016 / 6:28 pm

While I am not a huge fan of all black, I do see why so many women wear it. It depends entirely on the person and their personality. I don’t think I look good in all black, I’m hugely addicted to color but I love love love it on you! When done well, black isn’t just chic, it’s downright hot.

xx Belle

5. January 21, 2016 / 9:22 am

Solid black is very attractive. Many, like you, discover this when admiring how other women do it. We bikers tend to wear all black and for most of the same reasons you cite.

• January 21, 2016 / 1:26 pm

Haha how funny is that– a true example of form and function :)

• January 21, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Thank you so much, Carina. I appreciate you stopping by!

6. January 20, 2016 / 8:47 pm

You are looking so beautiful in this all black look! I really like the flowy sleeves on the top and the hat looks great with your new fringe! I totally know what you mean about black looking more expensive- I think seams etc are more hidden in black clothing too! As a fellow serial spiller I should seriously wear more black, and less white- haha!

Rachel xx

• January 21, 2016 / 1:29 pm

Ah! I’m so happy you noticed the fringe :D You have an olive complexion so white looks amazing on you though! You’re definitely right about the seams! xx

7. January 20, 2016 / 4:55 pm

i’ve worked in retail as a teen & most required all black clothing as a uniform… no matter the retailer, it was common knowledge than any all black outfit was 9.5/10 chic! lol. once i broke out of that industry after college, i began to rebel… favoring the colors i was not able to wear on the daily basis due to work, but now i find myself steering back to all black! as you said, it’s foolproof! :D

http://www.connect-the-cloths.com ♥ | xoxo

• January 21, 2016 / 1:30 pm

That makes so much sense, I’d probably do the exact same thing! However my story was a bit opposite since I worked at Anthropologie where color was encouraged :)

Thank you so much for stopping by, Carsla! Always so nice to hear from you xx